Nachos are one of my go-to weeknight meals, and I’m here to make sure they’re one of yours, too. No, I’m not talking about grabbing loaded nachos at happy hour. I’m talking about easy homemade chicken nachos, which will save you money and are ready in minutes.
These nachos have it all: cheesy chips layered with salsa-covered chicken and black beans, topped with all your favorite fixings. A sheet pan and a hot oven are just about all the equipment you’ll need. Here’s how to do it.
5 Tips for the Best, Easiest Chicken Nachos
1. Start with a rotisserie chicken. Grabbing a rotisserie chicken is the best way to jump-start nachos at home. You can also use leftover chicken, especially if it’s the ready-to-shred stuff that comes from the slow cooker or Instant Pot. With the chicken cooking out of the way, you can shortcut flavor by tossing the shredded chicken in your favorite jarred salsa.
Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss another post!
2. Use restaurant-style tortilla chips. Grab any restaurant-style tortilla chips you like for building nachos, which are slightly thicker and hold up better than other varieties when baked.
3. Opt for a blend of cheeses. A combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey jack cheese is my personal favorite.
4. Finish with your favorite toppings! The toppings are entirely up to you, but I recommend a can of black beans, sliced black olives, fresh jalapeños, and chopped fresh tomatoes for topping the cheesy chips.
5. Line your sheet pan with foil. Don’t forget to cover your sheet pan with foil before building and baking your nachos — this will make cleanup a breeze.
Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos
SERVES6 to 8
PREP TIME:40 minutes
COOKING TIME:15 minutes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced black olives
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, or a combination (3 cups shredded)
- 1 small roma tomato
- 8 medium scallions
- 1 small jalapeño
- 1 pound rotisserie chicken meat (from a 4 to 5-pound chicken)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 (16-ounce) bag restaurant-style tortilla chips
- Sour cream, for serving
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Prepare the following, keeping them separate: Drain and rinse 1 can black beans. Drain 1 can sliced black olives. Grate 12 ounces sharp cheddar or Monterey jack cheese on the large holes of a box grater (about 3 cups). Chop 1 roma tomato. Thinly slice 8 scallions and 1 small jalapeño.
- Shred 1 pound cooked chicken into a medium bowl. Add 1/2 cup salsa and toss to combine.
- Build the nachos: arrange about half of a 16-ounce bag of tortilla chips on the baking sheet in an even layer. Top with half of the seasoned chicken and a handful of shredded cheese. Layer the remaining chips on top, followed by the remaining chicken and cheese. Sprinkle with the black beans.
- Bake the nachos until the cheese is melted and the chips around the edges are beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Just before serving, garnish with the black olives, jalapeño, tomato, dollops of sour cream, and scallions.